Pages

Monday, April 16, 2012

Thank You For The Music

The old Queensland Museum - on a Monday night!


Hands up those who can still get away with a really late night and not be wrecked for a week?

Not me anymore. Oh my goodness, Tuesdays are a challenge these days! This orchestra thing on a Monday night doesn't finish until 10.30pm, so by the time I get home and into bed.... and unwind through another half an hour of 'ta, ti, ta, ti, ti, ti - ta, ti, ta, ti, ti, ti's'... it's after midnight .....and then I slumber through more mental rehearsals until dawn.

Oh yeah and there's my foot.

It's been 20 years since I have been in an orchestra. I have glasses now. It's hard. I have to sit so close to the music and I have NO peripheral vision. I can't see the conductor unless I wiggle my glasses down to the middle of my nose... conductor above glasses, music below.... and I can't see my fellow violinist's bows.. so it's guaranteed that my bow is going in the opposite direction to theirs.... AND I can't quickly sneak a peek at my fellow musician's music to steal a bow marking without practically sitting in their lap to see their music.


I'm feeling it. Tuesday mornings, I can't move my arms or my neck. I sit there, in rehearsals, so tense, for almost 4 hours, amongst violin teachers (really good virtuoso players!!!), trying to get every note, every entry perfect. Oh my neck.

But here's the good bit. I look around, I savour every moment. Savour, savour, savour. It's so not a bore like it used to be when I was a busy teenager, wanting to be everywhere else but orchestra rehearsal. I don't care if I miss the notes and everyone looks at me as a result. It's so beautiful, even with my mistakes. It's just so beautiful. I hum the music when we're not playing it... I hum the music during the week. My life now has a beautiful soundtrack. I carry the music in my heart. I am a different person because of orchestra on Monday nights..... and I am so grateful... even with the aches and pains, I am so grateful.

Do you have something in your life that exhausts you?....extends you?.....thrills you?
I can highly recommend it... once you get over the shakes and the nausea!

Happy Tuesday!
Photobucket
PS. What would life be? Without a song.. or dance... what are we?
Thank you for the music, for giving it to me. HERE

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...